The Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has announced that the La Liga can resume behind closed doors in the week commencing June 8, 2020.
Sanchez made his declaration as he addressed a range of coronavirus related issues on Saturday.
La Liga officials have been looking to Friday, June 12 as the league’s likely resumption date, and with Pedro Sanchez’s declaration they can now push towards that target.
In his declaration, Sanchez said: “Spain has done what it should and now new horizons are opening for everyone. The time has come to resume many daily activities. From June 8, La Liga will return to football.”
Spanish top division clubs have recently returned to training, with players training in groups of not more than ten persons.
Earlier this week, La Liga president Javier Tebas, said he was excited about the prospect of matches returning. He further stressed they could only proceed with clearance from health authorities.
Tebas said: “We are very pleased with the decision. It is the result of the great work of clubs, players, coaches, CSD (National Sports Council), and agents.”
“But we cannot lower our guard, it is important we follow health regulations and ensure the pandemic doesn’t come back,” he added.
When the league finally resumes with Sanchez’s announcement allowing the completion of the 2019/2020 season, matches will be played behind closed doors.
La Liga teams currently have 11 games left to play this season, with Barcelona two-points ahead of rivals Real Madrid on the League’s table.