The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of hiring political hooligans to interrupt its campaign rally, following the shootings that reportedly happened on Thursday, August 13, 2020.
According to reports, the incident occurred during the PDP election campaign at Apanam in the Etsako West Local Government Area of Edo State, three people were reportedly wounded during the shooting. The PDP Chieftain in the local government, Imonofi Osumah has reported that an APC chieftain and a former commissioner in the state, Lucky James was liable for the shooting.
According to Osumah, James appointed criminals and located them around the venue of the PDP campaign rally, adding that the gangsters started shooting immediately the PDP campaign team arrived in the venue.
“As we were going to Ward 10 in Apanam, the people said Lucky James’ boys were shooting. But the security agents with us chased them away and we started our rally. But when we moved to Ward 2 in Auchi, the hoodlums started shooting again. Our security people were also there and chased them away; we did not engage them in any gunfight. By Friday night, all our billboards had been destroyed.
“But I have told our members to keep calm because we have worked hard and we are sure that we will be victorious at the poll. The Godwin Obaseki-led government has done well for the people and they are ready to vote for him again,” he said,
However, the APC state Publicity Secretary, Chris Azebamwan has denied the allegations and accused some youths loyal to the opposition party, for destroying their campaign posters and added that the action of the PDP youths challenged the youths loyal to the APC.
“Some youths affiliated to the PDP were trying to damage the billboards of the APC, so youths loyal to the APC challenged them. In the course of the argument, one ThankGod and his accomplices brought out AK-47 rifles and started shooting. Fortunately, no one died but three APC members were injured, two adults and a child,” reported Azebamwan.
Recall that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) threatened to suspend the Edo and Ondo governorship elections if there is violence in the two states.